1) What made you become an author/Illustrator?
My family is the main reason. Being the eldest of 11 siblings and the only one among them who thrived on reading, they enjoyed listening to me retell the stories I read. I loved drawing more than writing then, so I would sometimes draw stories for them. When I became a mother, I found that my children were enthralled by the stories I made up and the sketches I made along with them.
2) Did you enjoy writing at school?
Never! It was the scariest part for me in both Arabic and English. I was afraid of writing the wrong things plus the crazy ideas in my head.
3) Who was your favourite author/writer when you were a kid?
Crazy people like me; Dr Seus and Roald Dahl.
4) Who is your favourite author/writer now?
I don't have a favourite author anymore, because you tend to cut yourself out from enjoying books from other writers. I love exploring new works and minds.
5) What are you reading now?
Just finished a classical romance Edenbrooke by @AuthorJulianne, was in for romance for a while..ha..ha...Can’t wait to start reading a SCI FI Arabic novel Mandan by @NouraNoman ...please @HunnaLadies don’t growl at me! And Noura don’t zap me with your beams, I know I’m the last one to read it! I’m just afraid to read it and have to wait so long for the 3rd sequel!
6) What do you listen to when you are at your creative point?
Listening to myself humming....
7) Name a book that changed your life.
God, there are so many..hmm...let me think... I would say all the Harry Potter series by @jk_rowling ... her stories reawakened my love for children’s books and suddenly I wanted to be one.
8) Out of the books you’ve written, which one is your favourite?
#I_Love_My_Mum’s_Pretty_Veil an interactive app that can be downloaded on Ipad. I would not have been able to complete it without the help of @CreativeLabME @2454abudhabi....I wrote it for all the mothers in the world who are proud in wearing their veil.
9) Name 5 things you must carry in your hand bag
Phone, pencil, pen, rubber and sharpener.
10) Name 3 tips for becoming an author or illustrator like you?
Read so much.....Illustrate so much....Network so you learn more and improve.
Thank you Maitha for your honesty and humor
Maitha Al Khayat